The NGO Affairs Bureau (NGOAB) was established in the year 1990 through an administrative order of the Government of Bangladesh. NGO stands for Non Government Organization. According to the bureau : The primary objective of NGOAB is to provide one-stop service to the NGO’s operating with foreign assistance and registered under the “Foreign Donations (Voluntary Activities) Regulation Ordinance, 1978”. For more details about this regulation ordinance please visit their portal.
In addition, the NGOAB facilitates the activities of the NGOs in the country, and ensures their accountability and responsibility to the state and thereby to the people of the country. Initially, it was located in the President Secretariat's Public Division and, later on, in the Cabinet Division of the Govt. In 1991, with the re-introduction parliamentary form of government, the NGOAB was placed under the Prime Minister's Office as a regulatory body of the NGOs with the status of a government department.
There are various responsibilities of the NGO Affairs Bureau. Some of these responsibilities are as follows:
- Providing one stop service to NGOs in respect of registration & processing of project proposals
- Approval of NGO projects, fund releases, permission for appointment of foreign expatriate consultants and fixation of their tenure
- Examination and evaluation of reports / returns submitted by the NGOs
- Coordination, monitoring, evaluation and inspection of NGO activities
- Collection of fees / service charges levied by the government
- Inspection of field level NGO activities and examining their accounts
- Liaison with the donors and the NGOs
- Formulation of reports on NGO activities and take appropriate measures
- Enlistment of Chartered Accounting Firms for auditing of Accounts of the NGO
- Approval of proposals for one-time grants
- Other matters relating to NGO Affairs
For more information’s about NGOAB please visit their website. Click on the link provided at the top of the post. This site contain lots of info about NGO related including their Functions, Citizen Charter, Organogram, Officer's list, Registration, FD and FC forms, Statistice, List of all NGO's and Canceled NGO's, Enlisted Auditors, Rules, Ordinance, Circulars, NGO's Focal Point and various info and services.
other related posts:
AFD BD - Armed Forces Division of Bangladesh
SSF or Special Security Force of Bangladesh
BEPZA - Bangladesh Export Processing Zone Authority
National Web Portal of Bangladesh
National InfoKosh of Bangladesh
Computer and IT Associations and Organizations in Bangladesh
All District District Portals - Step towards to Digital Bangladesh